E-sim vs. Nano-sim!!The Perfect Pick for You
If you are a smartphone user, you have probably used a SIM card. It is a small piece of plastic is inserted into your phone to link with a mobile network. From using the standard SIM (introduced in 1991) to tiny nano-SIM and now to more advanced digital e-sim; technology has come a long way. But what is the difference? What sets E-sim nano sim apart from each other?
Starting with the iPhone 14, Apple removed the requirement for a physical SIM card slot and embraced digital eSIM technology. Many smartphone brands followed the suit, indicating a future where physical eSIM slots may no longer exist in phones.
In today's article, we will discuss some key differences between esim and nano-sim, the advantages of eSIMs over nano-SIMs, and how you can effectively use both eSIMs and nano-SIMs simultaneously. So, let's begin with the proper introduction to e-sim and Nano sim.
What is an E-sim
E-sim stands for embedded Subscriber Identity module that is integrated directly into your device. As a result, you don't need a physical SIM card, and all the data is stored electronically in your device. An MFF2 (chip sim form factor), a tiny SIM, is put inside the device. Instead of needing a slot, the eSIM is fitted within the device. This keeps it safer from dust, water, and bumps.
E-sims are much harder to access if they get proper hold of your device. For IoT (like smart devices), these embedded SIMs last the longest compared to other SIM cards. They can keep going for up to 17 years if conditions are just right. It is one of the most significant advantages of having an E-sim.
What is Nano-sim?
A Nano-sim is a smaller version of a physical sim card introduced in 2012. It's 40% smaller, measuring 12.3 mm x 8.8mm. Surprisingly, despite being so small, a nano SIM can hold the same amount of info as a regular SIM card. A nano-SIM is often called the 4FF (Fourth Form Factor), representing the fourth generation of SIM cards. Its dimensions are merely 12.3mm x 8.8mm x 0.67mm.
Being smaller in size, Nano sims need a tiny SIM card slot. This gives flexibility in deciding where the SIM fits, how it blends with the device's design, and how compact it can be. In the IoT industry, the current trend is to make smaller devices, which is why each new generation of SIM cards is smaller than the previous one.
Nano Sim Vs E-sim! The best pick for you
The main difference between the two is one is physical, and the other is digital. Although a nano sim is smaller than a regular sim card, it is still used externally. If you want to switch carriers or utilize a local SIM card during your travels, you must remove your nano SIM and replace it with another. This process can be tricky because of its tiny size, making it more prone to damage or misplaced.
On the other hand, an e-sim is installed within your device and cannot be removed (unless someone breaks the phone). An eSIM operates digitally, performing all the tasks just like a regular SIM card. If you want to change your carrier or plan, you can download a digital data plan and connect to a new network within seconds. Moreover, most devices allow you to store multiple eSIMs without worrying about physical cards.
Key Differences between an e-sim and Nano-sim
1. Nano sim is more prone to damages
E-sims are integrated into your smartphone, which makes it easier to be protected from external elements. This integration safeguards against dust, moisture, or accidental impact that could harm an E-sim. The sealed environment within the phone adds an extra layer of durability, ensuring the e-SIM remains secure.
On the other hand, Nano sims are exposed and can be prone to physical damage or environmental hazards,
2. Flexibility and Convenience in Switching Carriers
- E-SIMs offer greater flexibility as you can switch carriers or plans without physically swapping SIM cards. You can switch virtually through digital processes, providing added convenience and speed.
- With nano SIMs, you must procure a physical SIM card from the new carrier and swap it in, which takes more time and effort.
3. International Roaming and Travel Convenience:
- E-SIM plans are affordable, especially if you are travelling abroad, as they eliminate the need for international roaming packs; you can easily add a local data plan using eSIM, eliminating the need for a physical SIM card.
- Nano SIMs often require travellers to purchase and replace their existing SIM cards with a local one, which can be inconvenient and time-consuming.
4. Environmental Impact:
- E-SIMs reduce waste and the environmental impact of producing, distributing, and disposing of physical SIM cards.
- Nano SIMs involve producing and disposing of physical cards, contributing to environmental waste and requiring additional resources.
5. Storage and Profile Management:
- E-SIMs allow you to store multiple carrier profiles on a single device, allowing users to easily switch between different carriers or plans without needing a physical swap.
- Nano SIMs require physical swapping to switch carriers or plans, making it less convenient in terms of managing multiple profiles on a single device.
Using E-sim and Nano-sim together
You can use nano-SIM and an eSIM at the same time Dual SIM technology. It allows you to:
- You can use one number for professional use and another for personal use, keeping your communications organized and separate.
- Add a local e-SIM data plan while travelling abroad. It ensures cost-effective and convenient connectivity without physically swapping SIM cards.
- You can have separate voice and data plans on the same device, giving you flexibility and control over your usage and costs.
If you are planning to travel abroad, you can buy an E-sim plan from Prune that allows you to stay connected no matter where you are without switching out your physical nano SIM card.
Benefits of Using Prune's E-sim
- Seamless Activation: Prune offers a streamlined activation process that saves time and eliminates the need to visit a store or wait for a SIM card to arrive.
- Cost-Effective: Prune e-sim plans are affordable, ensuring seamless connectivity without roaming charges. Moreover, it eliminates the need to purchase international roaming packs.
- Global Connectivity: Prune delivers e-SIM plans with expansive global coverage, guaranteeing uninterrupted connectivity no matter where your travels lead you.